vibe.d 0.7.9 released

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Thu Nov 1 13:29:25 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 1 November 2012 at 19:23:49 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2012-11-01 19:53, Rob T wrote:
>
>> I know that the druntime will not link as-is without a rebuild
>> to enable
>> PIC, so have you found this to be a problem, not using shared
>> libs, or
>> have you rebuilt druntime to allow for it?
>
> It's not enough to just recompile druntime. It's missing
> functionality to allow true dynamic linking (i.e. dlopen).

I understand what you are saying, however I was told that you can
still use shared libs in a limited way. The tricky part is
knowing what will work and what will not, and why.

I'm used to coding apps that use shared libs, and loadable
plugins are rather essential to have for some apps, so this is an
area of interest that maybe I can work on resolving down the
road. I'm also interested in understanding how people are
managing without shared libs. It's nice to be able to upgrade
code by compiling one shared lib and installing it, as opposed to
rebuilding an entire set of apps that statically link the lib.

--rt