vibe.d 0.7.9 released

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Fri Nov 2 09:36:55 PDT 2012

On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 11:27:22 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 01.11.2012 19:53, schrieb Rob T:
>
> I would like to have/add std.concurrency style message passing
> on top
> though, as that sometimes is actually quite convenient and of
> course
> it's also a very safe way to handle communication between
> fibers that
> are running on different threads - provided that only
> immutable/shared/unique data is sent, of course.

Thanks for the input!

A huge advantage of the message passing concept is that it can
scale up easily to include threads (I suppose fibres too), as
well as independent processes on same machine, and to multiple
machines across a network.

AFIK you simply cannot get that kind of scaling without message
passing.

At this time the std.concurrency module only supports messaging
across threads, so this part will need some work. I have enough
C++ experience with messaging across nodes, so I'm at least not
starting from scratch.

What I don't know yet, is if I should implement concurrency
entirely through message passing, or to include co-routines for
the execution part. If I do not use co-routines, then the
execution units have to be broken up into parts, following the
usual event processing model.

I can manage breaking up code into parts well enough, and there
may actually be advantages to doing it that way, but I can also
see advantages with using co-routines. I'll have to perform tests
to see how it will all fit together, but this will take me a
while.

--rt