Remus

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Tue Nov 6 22:27:04 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 22:00:47 UTC, Namespace wrote:
> No offense. :)
> But if you came from C++: didn't you miss (not-null) references?

You could perform trickery and create null references in C++ and
the compiler would not catch it, but you'd have to intentionally
mess around and do dangerous things.

I do agree that not null references is an item D could really
use. Of course you'll need to also allow nullable references too
because that is also extremely useful, so really what you want is
ability to pick and choose which references are guaranteed to
never be null and which can be null. By default it should be not
nullable. There was a thread in here on this topic not long ago,
but Im not so sure we'll get to see it in D any time soon.

--rt