[OT] Clang seems to implement modules

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 09:51:22 PST 2012

On Saturday, 17 November 2012 at 11:03:18 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> I just read the slides of a talk from that latest LLVM
> Developers' Meeting. It's a talk about modules by Doug Gregor
> from Apple. It seems that they already have started to
> implement this new feature in Clang.

It's about time...

I honestly cannot believe that this wasn't #1 priority for C++11.
Everyone that uses C++ for a living knows that compilation time
is the biggest practical problem with C++, yet the standards
committee seems completely unaware of this.

Herb Sutter posted a poll recently asking what people wanted most
from their C++ compiler. In the poll options he had things such
as conformance, safety, runtime performance, but didn't even
think to add compile time performance. Of course, everyone in the
comments wasn't pleased with this.

http://herbsutter.com/2012/10/03/poll-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-added-soonest-in-your-favorite-c-compiler/

I get the feeling that the C++ standards committee was formed to
serve Boost developers.