[OT] Clang seems to implement modules

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Nov 20 04:33:24 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 20 November 2012 at 09:53:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/19/2012 11:17 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2012-11-20 04:01, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> I know. I just pointed this out as I suspect this will not
>>> improve
>>> compile times more than precompiled headers do.
>>
>> The compiler will compile the header and create a some kind of
>> map file from it.
>> This map file will be cached and later used during the
>> compilation process. I
>> don't know how this compares to precompiled headers.
>
> It's really what precompiled headers are.

Except there is no standard way of doing it.

The work being paved by clang as base for the C++ modules, is a
way to use map files as transition into a full module system.

It is to be expected that if C++17 gets modules, and C++ by that
time still matters, header and map files could possibly be
ditched way (deprecated) in the following standard.

Personally I hope that in 2017 we already something much better
in place, like D. :)

--
Paulo