Progress on DGE

BLM768 blm768 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:50:06 PDT 2012

I haven't posted a progress update on my game engine project,
DGE, for a while. I've managed to find the source of a major bug
that was holding back development, and I've been making sporadic
improvements ever since. It's still very incomplete and a bit
buggy, but at least it draws stuff now. :)

One of the more interesting developments is an expansion of the
collision detection system. Barring any serious flaws in my code,
I think I'm about 3/4 of the way to having a working
capsule-capsule sweep test, which, as far as I've seen, has been
implemented only one or two times before. Of course, with my
knowledge of physics, something's probably wrong, but I haven't
noticed any major issues in recent trials (except, obviously, for
cases that I haven't implemented). It still needs a good
broadphase system, but I haven't figured out what I want to do on
that front...

Anyway, if anyone wants to take a look at the current state of
the code, it's at http://sourceforge.net/p/d-game-engine. I'll
probably move it to Github at some point, but I haven't gotten
around to it.

Also, if anyone has suggestions, enhancement requests, patches,
etc., I'd be glad to hear them. I'm still not completely sure how
to design the multi-pass rendering facilities, so suggestions in
that area would be especially helpful.