GC vs. Manual Memory Management Real World Comparison

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Oct 24 23:28:09 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 25 October 2012 at 02:15:41 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 October 2012 at 23:05:29 UTC, Rob T wrote:
>> In my case, I'm not too concerned about performance, or pauses
>> in the execution, but I do require dynamic loadable libraries,
>> and I do want to link D code to existing C/C++ code, but in
>> order to do these things, I cannot use the GC because I'm told
>> that it will not work under these situations.
>
> You can very much link to C and C++ code, or have C and C++
> code link to your D code, while still using the GC, you just
> have to be careful when you send GC memory to external code.
>
> You can even share the same GC between dynamic libraries and
> the host application  (if both are D and use GC, of course)
> using the GC proxy system.

I am speaking without knowing if such thing already exists.

Maybe someone that knows the best way to do so, could write an
article about best practices of using C and C++ code together in
D applications.

So that we could point them to it, in similar vein to the
wonderful article about templates.

--
Paulo