GC vs. Manual Memory Management Real World Comparison

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Wed Sep 5 04:03:37 PDT 2012

I rewrote a 3d game I created during my studies with D 2.0 to manual
memory mangement. If I'm not studying I'm working in the 3d Engine
deparement of Havok. As I needed to pratice manual memory management and
did want to get rid of the GC in D for quite some time, I did go through
all this effort to create a GC free version of my game.

The results are:

     DMD GC Version: 71 FPS, 14.0 ms frametime
     GDC GC Version: 128.6 FPS, 7.72 ms frametime
     DMD MMM Version: 142.8 FPS, 7.02 ms frametime

GC collection times:

     DMD GC Version: 8.9 ms
     GDC GC Version: 4.1 ms

As you see the manual managed version is twice as fast as the garbage
collected one. Even the highly optimized version created with GDC is
still slower the the manual memory management.

You can find the full article at:

http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/?p=20#more-20

Feedback is welcome.

Kind Regards