GC vs. Manual Memory Management Real World Comparison

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Sep 6 04:37:26 PDT 2012

Walter Bright:

> No code gen changes whatsoever were needed.

In that case I think I didn't specify what subsystem of the D
compiler was not "good enough", I have just shown a performance
difference. The division was slow, regardless of the cause. This
is what's important for the final C/D programmer, not if the
cause is a badly written division routine, or a bad/missing
optimization stage.

And regarding divisions, currently they are not optimized by dmd
if divisors are small (like 10) and statically known.

Bye,
bearophile