GC vs. Manual Memory Management Real World Comparison

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Thu Sep 6 10:50:23 PDT 2012

Am 06.09.2012 15:30, schrieb ponce:
>> The problem with intstrumentation is, that I can not recompile
>> druntime for the MinGW GDC, as this is not possible with the binary
>> release of MinGW GDC and I did not go thorugh the effort to setup the
>> whole build.
>> I'm open to suggestions though how I could profile the GC without
>> recompiling druntime. If someone else wants to profile this, I can
>> also provide precompiled versions of both versions.
>
> You don't necessarily need to recompile anything with a sampling
> profiler like AMD Code Analyst or Very Sleepy

I just tried profiling it with Very Sleepy but basically it only tells
me for both versions that most of the time is spend in gcx.fullcollect.
Just that the GDC version spends less time in gcx.fullcollect then the
DMD version.

As I can not rebuild druntime with GDC it will be quite hard to get
detailed profiling results.

I'm open for suggestions.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut