Slides from LASER 2012

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Sep 20 15:48:41 PDT 2012

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:06:19 +0200
"David Nadlinger" <see at klickverbot.at> wrote:

> The code on slide 6 contains an issue resp. inaccuracy: Not all
> random access ranges are sliceable. Sometimes I wonder (and this
> is not at all intended as a snide remark!) if it is too easy to
> make mistakes regarding template constraints, if even you as the
> (co-?) designer of std.range get them wrong occasionally.

Maybe we could have an interface tester: Something that will
automatically try to pass in a bunch of known types to whatever
templated function you give it (and maybe a limited subset of
combinations for multiple args), and makes sure the the result is always
either "Compiles OK" or "Match not found", and never a compile error
from *inside* the given function template. When it compiles OK, maybe
it could even automatically run associated unittests (not sure though).

I don't know that this could be done as a library, as it would require
distinguishing between different types of compile errors. But I bet it
could reasonably be done as a CLI tool that invokes DMD.