HibernateD and DDBC - ORM and DB abstraction layer for D

David d at dav1d.de
Wed Apr 10 03:35:43 PDT 2013

Am 10.04.2013 12:26, schrieb Vadim Lopatin:

>>> It's not problem to have 2 realization. Base and alternative. To
>>> have one base realization is always good for thous who need to be
>>> sure that it would not be abandoned.
>> I am looking forward to the date libphobos.a has 1GB in size and takes 5
>> hours to compile
>
> std.* may include only interfaces, e.g. like in java.sql package.
> Implementations not necessary in std. Can be third party libraries (e.g.
> like java JDBC drivers). But standard interfaces give benefits.
So if the std. implementation has a PITA api, all other (probably better
approaches) are forced (forced because the user expects an api like this
and will probably reject something better but with a different api) to
use the same PITA api? This isn't a problem with low-level stuff, but it
is something completly different with something as high-level as an ORM.
Also an api change in the std. implementation forces *every* 3rd party
module to be updated, which is insane, what about a 3 year old
implementation which is basically done, everyone considers it stable,
now the std. implementation makes a small change, thousands of project
will stop working. This isn't a too big problem if the 3 year old
implementation is still activly develeoped, but if it isn't ...