Article: Increasing the D Compiler Speed by Over 75%

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 10:44:26 PDT 2013

On Friday, 2 August 2013 at 17:16:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 2013-08-02 15:44:13 +0000, Leandro Lucarella said:
>> I'm not say is right or wrong for people to have this reflex
>> of thinking
>> about multipliers, I'm just saying if you care about
>> transmitting the
>> message as clear as you can, is better to use numbers
>> everybody can
>> intuitively think about.
>>
>> And this is in reply to Andrei too. I understand your POV, but
>> if your
>> main goal is communication (instead of education about side
>> topics),
>> I think is better to stick with numbers and language that
>> minimizes
>> confusion and misinterpretations.
>>
>> Just a humble opinion of yours truly.
>

> Fair enough. So what would have been a better way to convey the
> quantitative improvement?

Not to speak on Leandro's behalf, but I think the obvious answer
is "Reduced compile times by 43%".

It's much more useful to express it that way because it's easier
to apply. Say I have a program that takes 100 seconds to compile.
Knowing that the compilation time is reduced by 43% makes it easy
to see that my program will now take 57 seconds. Knowing that
compilation is 75% faster doesn't help much at all - I have to
get out a calculator and divide by 1.75.

It's always better to use a measure that is linear with what you
care about. Here, most people care about how long their programs
take to compile, not how many programs they can compile per
second.