New malloc() for win32 that should produce faster DMD's and faster D code that uses malloc()

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Aug 4 00:35:45 PDT 2013

On 8/4/2013 12:19 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On Sunday, 4 August 2013 at 06:07:54 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
>> ever tested nedmalloc (http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/) or
>> other malloc allocators?
>
> "Windows 7, Linux 3.x, FreeBSD 8, Mac OS X 10.6 all contain state-of-the-art
> allocators and no third party allocator is likely to significantly improve on
> them in real world results."
>
> So there may be minimal returns from incorporating nedmalloc on modern OS's ... ?

As I wrote earlier, Microsoft has enormous incentive to make HeapXXXX as fast as
possible, as it will pay dividends for every Microsoft software product and
software designed for Windows. I'm sure the engineers there know all about the
various strategies available on the intarnets. Why not take advantage of their work?