stop to maitain rpm

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sun Aug 11 10:15:51 PDT 2013

Dear Jonathan,

It's sad to see you go, we desperately need any help we can get
on the packaging front (for all those who don't know, Jonathan
aka bioinfornatics has been maintaining several D-related
packages in the official Fedora repositories).

However, I would argue that D libraries should not be packaged
using the typical operating system package management facilities
anyway, as those are very much tailored to mature C/C++
libraries. In the case of D, even if a given library tried to
maintain a stable ABI, it would not succeed as the various
compilers and different versions of the same compiler are not
ABI-compatible (yet).

Together with the fact that one often wants to use several D
compilers side by side (e.g. DMD for quick debug builds, LDC for
optimized release versions, or the latest DMD version for a new
project along with a slightly older one for some code that has
not been updated yet), I think that dedicated language-specific
tools like they are common with other newer programming languages
are also the way to go for D.

What would be nice, however, is to have these D-specific tools
such as DVM, dub, … available in the distro repositories,
preconfigured to fit the customs of the given system. This way,
users could just do "yum install dvm dub" (or whatever other
tools) to get a fully working D environment.

David