stop to maitain rpm

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Aug 12 08:39:56 PDT 2013

On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 14:34:04 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> That's true. But, correct me if I'm wrong, rpms and the like
> are bundled independently of the original source repository. So
> a project relying solely on dub doesn't stop a package
> maintainer from keeping a separate build script to bundle with
> the rpm.

Yeah, but imagine creating hard dependency on certain library
version in sources (with no real need, something like too
specific SONAME) - it requires package maintainer not only to
keep bundling script, but also to patch project sources before
building. Something maintainers are usually not happy to do :)

It is not that common but forgetting that user environment will
be different from yours is kind of easier with all the
convenience `dub` brings you.

In general I think keeping packager and developer duties separate
is a good/right thing, however, it is much easier when developers
think about binary dependencies separately from source ones.