D reaches 1000 questions on stackoverflow

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Aug 14 19:30:26 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 22:56:30 Andre Artus wrote:
> As with many things it depends on what you want to achieve.
> Answering on SO is as much about establishing awareness as it is
> about answering the question. For a newcomer to D StackOverflow
> may be their first port of call, if questions go unanswered, or
> are answered after long delays, then the likelihood of the person
> persisting with D is diminished.

I answer questions on SO all the time, but I rarely ask anything there, and I
never ask anything D-related there. Of course, if my question is D-related,
I'm much more likely to _have_ to ask my question here to get a good answer
anyway just based on how many people would even know the answer, simply
because I know enough that anything I asked would be much more likely to be
esoteric and/or require in-depth knowledge. The experts are all here, and only
a small portion of them are on SO.

In any case, I'd say that in general, asking your question on SO gives it more
visibility to those outside of the core D community, but you're more likely to
get a good answer here than there, because there are more people here, and
this is where the experts are.

- Jonathan M Davis