D reaches 1000 questions on stackoverflow

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 18:05:17 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 02:30:42 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 22:56:30 Andre Artus wrote:
>> As with many things it depends on what you want to achieve.
>> Answering on SO is as much about establishing awareness as it
>> is
>> about answering the question. For a newcomer to D StackOverflow
>> may be their first port of call, if questions go unanswered, or
>> are answered after long delays, then the likelihood of the
>> person
>> persisting with D is diminished.
>
> I answer questions on SO all the time, but I rarely ask
> anything there, and I
> never ask anything D-related there. Of course, if my question
> is D-related,
> I'm much more likely to _have_ to ask my question here to get a
> good answer
> anyway just based on how many people would even know the
> answer, simply
> because I know enough that anything I asked would be much more
> likely to be
> esoteric and/or require in-depth knowledge. The experts are all
> here, and only
> a small portion of them are on SO.
>
> In any case, I'd say that in general, asking your question on
> SO gives it more
> visibility to those outside of the core D community, but you're
> more likely to
> get a good answer here than there, because there are more
> people here, and
> this is where the experts are.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

First off, thank you so much for answering questions on SO.
Answers there come up higher in Google search results than
questions here, and several of your answers have been very
helpful to me. There are others that answer, who I'm also
grateful for, but your name always sticks out to me when I see an
answer there.

It's true though that there are much better answers (and
questions) here than on SO, and I'm beginning to shift my search
from Google to the forum search, but this isn't something a
newcomer will know to do, especially since many other languages
put more emphasis on SO.