Arch Linux D news digest

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Aug 26 05:35:41 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 25 August 2013 at 22:35:50 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> OT:
>
> This might be the final straw that takes me over to Arch.
>
> How are things over on that side of linux? I've been using
> ubuntu/lubuntu/fedora/mint on various machines for years but
> never really tried out the more DIY distros.

I liked it more in pre-systemd epoch, miss that `rc.conf`
elegance. It even had ncurses-based installer then! :)

Right now the crucial point for me is AUR / PKGBUILD system (and
the reason why I wasn't satisfied with any other distro I have
tried). Creating own packages is incredibly easy and simple, as
well as sharing them with people. It helps to keep system clean
if you build own stuff from sources and allows Arch to be the
true bleeding edge distro - even if main repository maintainer
are slow or reluctant to include some new shiny program,
community will do it in AUR anyway. That was the case initially
with D2, btw - it has started in AUR.

Reading manuals / wiki is pretty much mandatory but I don't think
it is a major blocker for a programmer, unless he is completely
new to Linux :)