Fedora RPMs

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 06:54:28 PST 2013

On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 11:46:37 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 02:11 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I have just committed few changes to
>> https://www.gitorious.org/dejan-
>> fedora that allow you to build functional RPMs on your Fedora
>> 19 systems.
>> I will aim for now to support F19, F20, EL5 and EL6. If
>> someone needs
>> support for something else, please send patches or just simply
>> come to IRC
>> and let me know what is the problem. :)
>
> Great, will you take the honour to submit this to Fedora?
>>
>> Few remarks - SPEC file expects source files to be on
>> http://ddn.so/
>> files/ . I hope our release manager, or so-called "build
>> master" will
>> make sure dlang.org provides source tarballs of dmd, phobos,
>> druntime and
>> tools the same or similar way I have them on
>> http://ddn.so/files/ (btw,
>> you can't browse it yet, but you can download files).
>>
>> I use the simple get-files.sh (located in the dmd directory in
>> the dejan-
>> fedora repo) to get those release tarballs from GitHub.
>>
>> Finally, I decided to be little bit adventurous and made the
>> SPEC file
>> generate dmd.conf with -defaultlib=libphobos2.so flag in
>> DFLAGS.
>>
> It would be better to stick to the current dlang state.
>
>> Following Fedora package guidelines, I provide static library
>> in the
>> libphobos-static package instead.
>>
> Splitting in different packages is needed to comply with RPM
> guidelines, but it's a bad fit for a single binary installer on
> dlang.org.
> I'm working on a spec file for the latter.
> https://github.com/dawgfoto/installer/tree/fedoraSPEC

Btw, I forgot to tell you... I talked to fedora people about
having dmd in Fedora. They said it will probably be rejected
because of the backend license, because they are not allowed to
freely distribute the software. So I guess we will most likely
have to setup our own YUM repository on dlang.org - that is
probably the best course of action. If someone has better idea,
please share it.