Build Master: Progress toward 2.065

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Dec 10 05:43:50 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 10 December 2013 at 13:37:11 UTC, David Nadlinger
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 December 2013 at 13:30:22 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Can't agree. Release _tags_ are public. Release branches exist
>> primarily to organize development.
>
> I'm not talking about public in the sense of them being an
> artefact we want to provide to end-users, but just in the sense
> that more than one person might need to work on the release
> branch. As I'm sure you are aware, you'd have to tell everybody
> to reset their local branches every time the upstream one is
> updated. Or do you expect only one person to ever commit to the
> release branch?
>
> Of course, ideally commits would go on the release branch first
> and from there be merged into master (or to other, newer
> version branches). But if the question is how to fix the
> current situation where this isn't the case, I'm not sure that
> rewriting public history is the best option.
>
> David

It is not a problem to reset local branches on rare occasions
like this one, whatever developer count is. Reason why rebasing
of public branches is discouraged is not some abstract
inconvenience of collaboration - it is the fact that commit
hashes change in history and anything that has been pointing to
part of history that got rewritten will be broken (especially
important if, for example, commit hashes are embedded into
deployed builds).

This is not the case here. There has not been a single tag on
this branch and not a single packaged binary built from it. Just
is just a development snapshot, rebasing it is no different than
creating a new one. As it won't happen under normal conditions
anyway, I fail to see the issue.