Build Master: Progress toward 2.065

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Dec 10 07:18:32 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 10 December 2013 at 15:09:13 UTC, Leandro Lucarella
wrote:
> I don't understand. Rebasing the release branch on top of master
> shouldn't be an option, as it means you are taking all the
> changes to
> master and put them in the release branch. That's just using
> master as
> a release branch. The other way around would be crazy.

Yes, of course, it is not a normal thing to do. As far as I
understand, Andrew wants to restart release branch from scratch,
based on current master state (because old base happened before
he started working on release management). In that case it is a
natural (and exceptional) solution.

> What problems do you see merging cherry-picked stuff back into
> master?
> IIRC git should be smart enough to recognize duplicated commits
> and
> ignore them, at least if you merge often.

In my experience it was not smart enough. It may have changed in
latest versions of course.