EMSI is hiring a D developer

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 03:52:15 PST 2013

On Monday, 16 December 2013 at 11:18:49 UTC, eles wrote:
> On Monday, 16 December 2013 at 10:24:33 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> On Monday, 16 December 2013 at 02:04:56 UTC, Justin Whear
>> wrote:
>
>> In British English, the Russian Moscow is pronounced Moss-coe.
>> The Russians themselves call it Москва, pronounced Moskva.
>
> *pronounced Maskvà

I think that would be a little confusing to an english speaker,
as most would pronounce the 'a' very hard and bright in that
context. In reality it should be somewhere between an 'o' and an
'a', no?

The various pronunciations I could find: /məsˈkvɑː/ /ˈmɒs.kvə/
both in IPA english and [mɐˈskva] in IPA Russian. ə is kindof
middling vowel, somewhere between short o,a and u. ɒ is short o.
ɐ is equivalent to an english short 'u'.