Mono-D v0.5.5.5 - Huge completion refactoring/v0.5.5.6 - Bug fixes

Alexander Bothe info at alexanderbothe.com
Fri Dec 27 11:09:26 PST 2013

On Friday, 27 December 2013 at 17:52:22 UTC, ilya-stromberg wrote:
> I have only one request: can you focus at the Mono-D stability?
> I saw a few errors last time (I'm not shure if it was Mono
> Develop errors or Mono-D errors).

Then please tell me as soon as they appear! Assuming that you've
got a longer programming experience, you should know well that
silent/destructive raging won't help anybody! :)

> So, can you use only stable Mono Develop versions and print
> current required Mono Develop version?

That's one thing I did for the last bunch of years. I hated it,
brought even more confusion and I had doubled circumstances to
manage everything. Atm I'm very happy that I can even release
Mono-D for all 3 major OS platforms exclusively via
addins.monodevelop.com which is the built-in distribution
platform of MD.

> Also, can you create betta/rc versions of Mono-D and, maybe,
> create separate repro for it?

I'd rather recommend to downgrade if something is not working at
all - or just skip versions (like the usual main release followed
by several bug fix releases - It's always your choice not to
update!) I know this implies some efforts (head to
http://addins.monodevelop.com/Project/Index/27 and select an
older release :-))
but ensures that quite everyone is using the very latest version.
Only then I can locate bugs&issues most efficiently.

> In past I had very bad experience of work with Mono-D because
> any Mono Develop and/or Mono-D upgrade could break the IDE.
> So, it will be really great to see stable Mono-D.

Lastly, please define 'stable'.
I think you mean 'not crashing at every key stroke' - well, that
can indeed happen from time to time. But still, it's continous
partly test-driven rolling-released integration - what do you
expect? :-D

Furthermore, the guys from MonoDevelop seem to have taken a break
from changing the APIs on every release plus if you use the dub
architecture, Mono-D is a fully opt-in solution to develop your
project.
If it's just crashing, keep on developing with other tools and
may return if it's working again. Or just keep filing issue
reports, or try to fix it on your own - it's FOSS! :-)