Mono-D v0.5.5.5 - Huge completion refactoring/v0.5.5.6 - Bug fixes

ilya-stromberg ilya-stromberg-2009 at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 27 22:55:19 PST 2013

On Friday, 27 December 2013 at 21:59:12 UTC, Alexander Bothe
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 December 2013 at 20:53:26 UTC, ilya-stromberg
> wrote:
>> Great! In that case can you just print your MonoDevelop version
>> to the download page. Now you have:
>>> Head to http://monodevelop.com/Download and install the
>>> latest release (it may even be an ‘Alpha’ version) of
>>> MonoDevelop
>>
>> It's exactly that I don't want to have (‘Alpha’ version).
>
> This is the MonoDevelop magic (yes, next to the D magic there
> is some in MonoDevelop as well :-)) I had to understand in
> before either:
> There is no alpha, beta or stable version even if it's called
> that way. The only way those versions differ between each other
> are API changes and bug fixes/regressions.
>
> Currently, both stable and master-built (from the git master
> repo) versions feature the very similar API what makes Mono-D
> (currently!) running on all 4.2 releases.
>
> This might change again - but atm, it works.

When I used `ppa:keks9n/monodevelop-latest` repro, the
MonoDevelop updated every day. So, it was alpha version. BTW, I
had a lot of problems with it, new `ppa:ermshiperete/monodevelop`
looks much better.
I repeat, please write supported MonoDevelop version at the
download page. You have too many opportunities for Ubuntu: we
have 3 different repros and nobody knows the correct one. BTW,
`ppa:ermshiperete/monodevelop` contains pre-installed Mono-D, so
it looks like the maintainer wants to support correct MonoDevelop
version for Mono-D.

Additional request: please use more intuitive version number, see
http://semver.org/ because current version scheme doesn't provide
any additional information.
Please use:
1) 1-st digit if you need to upgrade the MonoDevelop version with
incompatible API changes
2) 2-nd digit if you have new features, code refactoring or any
other big code change
3) 3-d digit if you have only bug fixes
It can help a lot. For example, 2 last Mono-D versions should
have 0.5.6.0 and 0.5.6.1 numbers.