Higgs, a JavaScript JIT done in D

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Mon Feb 4 16:01:24 PST 2013

On Sunday, 3 February 2013 at 21:05:57 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 February 2013 at 18:24:05 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
>> Welcome to reality Bearophile!!!
>>
>> In real projects people do the job as best as they can at the
>> moment, and they probably, and with right, do not care what
>> people who only theorise, criticise, and philosophise think!
>> You write perfect code?! I doubt! And if you do, you will
>> probably never finish any serious project in time!
>
> That's besides the point. If people aren't using a feature of
> the language (e.g. contracts or const) then perhaps it is a
> sign of problems with those features, whether it be technical,
> or lack of tutorial, or poor documentation etc. I don't know if
> it is, but I find it interesting to observe how people use the
> language in real code.

Good points.

In the case at hand, the researcher is likely not expecting to
re-use the code or maintain it past the projects termination
point, so it's most likely a quick and dirty job. In fact she
mentions that no attempts were made to optimize for performance
because it's a proof of concept, which suggests throw away code.

BTW, I've been digging away on D for a few months now, and have
written a fair amount of D code, yet I still have not explored
all of the languages features and even after I've looked at
everything it's very likely I will not use all of the available
features because it's very likely not all of it will add enough
value, and may even complicate matters in practice more than it
promises to simplify in theory.

--rt