vibe.d 0.7.12 released

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Feb 11 12:11:13 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 10:11 -0800, Ali Çehreli wrote:
[…]
> I use vibe.d as an example of how useful a tool D is. Recently, somebody
> has shown me a web server code written in Python: It was in 14 lines,
> could you belive it? Well, I've responded back with a vibe.d example. It
> was basically the same code as Python, translated to D. Of course, the
> solution that use vibe.d does not have Python's infamous GIL; instead,
> it comes with parallelism and concurrency out of the box. And you are
> aware of typos in your code even before running your program. ;)

Python is not being compared to D here, vibe.d is being compared to
<what?> Flask, Bottle,…

I would suggest that vibe.d can be a real competitor in the Flask,
Sinatra, Ratpack, etc. in the microframework space. But it needs the
word spreading, which means serious applications mentioned in Python,
Ruby, Groovy, and Go mailing lists. Issues about Python GIL are
irrelevant (even if true) as people just use process pools via
multiprocessing or concurrent.futures. It is important to not obviously
compare apples with wing nuts ;-)

Connections to SQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Neo4J, etc. and
templating engines are the real kicker here not the even loop.  If it's
all in place get the marketing material in place and let the presses
roll.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk