[OT] Region-Based Storage Management: ParaSailing without a (Garbage) Chute

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Feb 17 17:00:10 PST 2013

Tucker Taft:

> ParaSail is not really based on Ada, but it does try to
> incorporate good ideas from a number of languages, including
> Ada, ML/OCaml, Modula/Oberon, D ;-), etc.

Wow Tucker Taft himself :-) You seem quite expert, despite the
very friendly attitude shown in this talk.

As seen in a talk slide ParaSail throws away *lot* of stuff, to
fulfill its main purpose of allowing lot of parallelism in an
imperative language.

While D is more a "kitchen sink" language, that takes lot of
stuff from C, C++, Java and more. So D seems much more complex
than ParaSail. On the other hand most things present in D are
useful/handy.

I don't know how well D will work on CPUs with 50-200 cores. The
current simple GC has problems even on a single core, so on 100
cores I think it will become a mess. The Rust memory model seems
quite more fit for that:
http://i.imgur.com/16rxWXY.png

The ParaSail idea of the need to specify what variables to use
from outer scope is an idea that I like since few years, and I'd
like a form of it in D (with an optional @outer() or something
similar) because in the years I have seen many problems caused by
using by mistake identifiers from outer scopes.

Bye,
bearophile