D 2.062 release

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:10:27 PST 2013

On 2/18/13, Mike Parker <aldacron at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I just want to throw in my 2 cents about the new changelog format.

Not just the changelog, but this release announcement too. Two
sentences, without any information about what is being released, who
is involved, and a short few sentences on what's new. Very cold, and a
complete marketing failure.

For the next release I propose that we get more involved in the release process:

- We make an agreement on when exactly a release is made, without
wondering when Walter might end up doing it himself.

- We maintain a list of open pull requests which have to be merged
before a release is made (we can even use DWiki for this). We could
also maintain a list of bugs which should be the focus of each
upcoming release.

- Next to the buzilla queries in the changelog we should write a list
of changes in some informative manner (split up categorically e.g.
bugfixes, new syntax, new phobos features, etc), what's new, how some
bug may or may not affect its users and how they can work around any
code breakage.

- We split up the changelog so it isn't one gigantic page.

- We write an announcement post to NG that's short but informative,
making sure we give a thanks to our users, reporters, maintainers and
bug fixers (I'm not saying list all of their names but just a general
thank you note).

- We make sure the announcement can be seen on the dlang.org front page!

For some examples of how other language maintainers make announcements, see:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/2012-September/009630.html
http://dev.perl.org/perl5/news/2012/perl-5.16.0.html
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/scala-announce/cRNUEBmcZYw