D 2.062 release

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 18:11:49 PST 2013

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:55:21 -0500, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 2/17/2013 5:31 PM, Mike Parker wrote:
>> Love the new release! Thanks to everyone who contributed. But I just
>> want to
>> throw in my 2 cents about the new changelog format. It's impossible now
>> to tell
>> at a glance what the major changes/fixes are.
>
> It wasn't before, either. It was a list sorted by bugzilla number - no
> other sort - and it's the same now.
>
>> Clicking through four links to
>> find them is bad enough, but the layout and color scheme of the
>> Bugzilla search
>> results makes it even more time consuming. I know it's easier from a
>> maintenance
>> perspective, but I've lost the motivation to even look at the changelog
>> now. And
>> it's something I really used to look forward to with each release.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm baffled at this. The ordering and the information is
> exactly the same - a list of issue numbers and the issue title.

Let me give you some examples of "new features"

std.array.replace compile error (string and immutable string)
There's no Duration.max
Document extern properly
etc.

Now, I'll sure love the new replace compile error, the missing
Duration.max, and the need to document extern as much as the next guy, but
can we get some better descriptions? ;)

Some of the descriptions work well for a changelog, but many of them
don't.  Even ones that are clear that they were a new feature are worded
awkwardly.

For example, the new feature "std.random.uniform!Enum should return random
enum member" should really be "std.random.uniform!Enum now returns a
random enum member instead of a random integer"

The 'bugs fixed' report can be a link to bugzilla, but being able to read
it inline on the changelog would be a good improvement.  These are going
to be static lists, there is no need to query them from a DB every time.

-Steve