A Mathematician looks at D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Feb 20 06:29:18 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 14:13:17 UTC, so wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 12:27:46 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>
>> Smalltalk and Lisp were already doing in the late 70's, funny
>> how we ended up exchanging such development environments for
>> primitive languages like C in name of performance, only to try
>> to duplicate them almost 50 years later.
>>
>> Every time I see a live coding demo I can only laugh and
>> remember I was doing that back in 1995 in Smalltalk
>> VisualWorks.
>
> I was ignorant of all of this and took me more than six years
> to learn such development environments existed and that is by
> luck (more like hunch). This is still somehow healthy process
> as i am going forward. What is your excuse? How do you put up
> with this? You are so much better than me, because i know i
> couldn't.

I was lucky that my university (FCT/UNL in Lisbon) had a strong
focus in compiler design, which made me experiment a lot of
languages.

That Smaltalk environment was used for creation of a reversi
clone. :)

It is a matter of what you get to pay to do. For example I would
also rather do desktop applications than web ones, but here in
Germany almost everyone is paying for WebUIs, so I need to put up
with it. Similar with programming languages.

Have you ever seen this video of how Lisp machines used to be?

http://www.loper-os.org/?p=932

The later model Ivory was even better. All of this in the 80s.