D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Wed Jan 2 07:27:06 PST 2013

Am Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:14:53 +0100
schrieb "David Eagen" <davideagen at mailinator.com>:

> On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 at 08:20:41 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 02, 2013 09:12:49 bearophile wrote:
> >> I have to warn people that if they want to suddenly switch from
> >> 2.060 to 2.061 with no intermediate steps, probably some of
> >> their
> >> code will break, and they will have to work to fix it.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > - Jonathan M davis
>
> I have noticed my project doesn't compile with 2.061 when it did
> with 2.060. I am using a few different static libraries, one of
> them is thrift.
>
> I had to recompile the libraries I use with 2.061 which meant I
> had to rebuild thrift and the thrift generated libraries. Once I
> did that I could compile just fine. But before that I got the
> errors below.
>
> I am on 64-bit Ubuntu (AMD64).

That's unfortunately normal for every dmd release. We try to stay API
compatible, but ABI usually breaks with every compiler/druntime/phobos
update. This means you can't mix object/library files compiled with
different compiler versions.

(An example of a ABI breaking change is everything which changes the
mangled name: adding the safe/trusted attribute, pure, nothrow,
property)