D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 2 13:18:02 PST 2013

On 1/2/2013 12:56 PM, Matthew Caron wrote:
> On 01/02/2013 03:37 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> But it's still bizarre that, with Thunderbird, you can export/import the
>> address book, but not the mail database.
>
> Why would you need to? If your mail store is IMAP, just let it rebuild.

I don't store email on the server, I store it locally.

>> A welcome improvement would be to have a button to export/import the
>> whole farkin' thing.
>>
>> Instead, when I installed TB on my laptop, I had to open the account
>> settings on my desktop, and screen by screen, manually copy the data
>> into my laptop TB install. A long and tedious and error-prone process,
>> as there are endless screens and config settings.
>

> scp -rp ~/.thunderbird <target machine>
>
> will shove your whole TB directory to the new box.

Doesn't work on Windows. Anyhow, the TB documentation never says this. Nor does
that help you if you just want to move account settings over rather than the
entire 10 years worth of mail. (I generally limit what I put on my laptop, in
case I lose it!)

What is the rationale behind import/export of address books, and not doing that
for anything else?