D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Jan 2 13:32:40 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 11:24 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]
> It does when you don't remember what goes in the host file, what you had
> installed, redoing all the ssh keys, etc. It also deleted all my virtual boxes,
> I never did figure out how to get them working again. I simply gave up on
> virtual boxes as more trouble than they're worth.

Host file problem should self-organize on reinstall.

What you had isntalled is a question of regularly doing:

	dpkg --get-selections > /some/place/you/remember/on/backup/machine

SSH keys can be a problem.

I don't do virtual machines, but deletion sounds like it is actually
another problem.  Virtual machines are great for training rooms.

> It also nuked all my mail and calender data, which is why I don't use Ubuntu for
> mail or calender anymore, nor do I use it for music (same thing happened).

Over-reaction to the wrong issue. Evolution is entirely fine for mail
and calendar, I use it all the time on Debian and Fedora.  Playing music
with rhythmbox also works fine on Debian and Fedora. Also with mediatomb
as a server.

Where were your backups. I can vapourize a Debian/Fedora dual boot
machine and have it up and running with the last backup up state in 2
hours. In the meantime I can be working on another machine and then have
everything sync up in a matter of minutes.  Losing mail and data and OS
configuration sounds like a lack of proper sys admin approach.

> The only actual trouble I had was the installer assumed a screen larger than the
> one I had, and insisted on putting the [next] button off the bottom of the
> screen. Argh.

I'd agree there, I had similar problems with the Ubuntu installer, which
was turned into something horrible, but may have since evolved to be
something usable. I have never had any such problems with Debian or
Fedora installers.

> P.S. I like calendar programs, but on Windows and Ubuntu, upgrading the OS
> inevitably deletes the calendar database. None of those frackin' calendar
> programs ever deign to tell me where they store their frackin' database, so I
> can back it up. I really, really don't understand mail and calendar programs
> that make it difficult to back up the data. I quit using Outlook Express because
> it stored the mail database in a hidden directory. WTF? Thunderbird is better,
> but not much.

I think we can blame DOS and then Windows for enshrining the idea that
all configuration information should be stored in C:\ and never
replicated anywhere.

Sadly the XDG filestore specification is good but has some glaring
problems replicating configuration and cache files across machines.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk