D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 2 13:59:24 PST 2013

On 1/2/2013 1:32 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> It also nuked all my mail and calender data, which is why I don't use Ubuntu for
>> mail or calender anymore, nor do I use it for music (same thing happened).
>
> Over-reaction to the wrong issue. Evolution is entirely fine for mail
> and calendar, I use it all the time on Debian and Fedora.  Playing music
> with rhythmbox also works fine on Debian and Fedora. Also with mediatomb
> as a server.

rhythmbox is a miserable program (at least on Ubuntu). It has a marvy feature
where it randomly stops playing, and only a cold boot will bring it back. It
also has random problems syncing with my music file database which is on a
Windows shared folder. Getting it to recognize a just-added CD was an exercise
in madness. I usually wound up deleting rhythmbox's settings file and starting over.

I finally threw in the towel and don't use Ubuntu to play music anymore.

> Where were your backups. I can vapourize a Debian/Fedora dual boot
> machine and have it up and running with the last backup up state in 2
> hours. In the meantime I can be working on another machine and then have
> everything sync up in a matter of minutes.  Losing mail and data and OS
> configuration sounds like a lack of proper sys admin approach.

I'll admit my backups were less than stellar. I stupidly clicked the "upgrade
Ubuntu" button first. I'll also admit to not having a whole lot of patience with
the problems with it.