UIs for Linux [ was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 01:29:20 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 00:34 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/3/2013 12:25 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> > 1/3/2013 12:22 PM, Russel Winder пишет:
> >> I threw in the towel on Ubuntu when Unity came out as the default UI.
> >>
> > Going OT but can't agree more :)
>
> I use a command prompt, and don't particular care about the UI <g>.

There was a revolution in Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora that will affect
you even if you are just a command line person (as I am).  Ubuntu moved
to Unity which only Canonical staff seem to like. Debian and Fedora
stuck with GNOME 3 and the Gnome Shell, which many people hate but
actually a lot of people (including me now, but not originally) really
prefer over GNOME 2. Various high profile people (cf. Linus Torvalds)
panned GNOME Shell and skipped off to XFCE on GNOME 3 and then KDE.

His attack on GNOME Shell was a bit OTT, but his move to KDE is entirely
his choice.

Even if you just manage command line terminals, the evolution will hit
you.

It's analogous to the way Windows 7 evolved into Windows 8, but not so
revolutionary.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk