D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 02:17:27 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 01:26 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]
> This is incorrect. Google SSD TRIM for why. The short version is yes, SSD drives
> will work without TRIM, but will run slowly. Operating system TRIM support is
> necessary for fast SSD operation. TRIM is how the operating system tells the SSD
> drive that certain blocks no longer contain useful data, and can be recycled.
>
> The normal non-TRIM behavior is the only way the drive finds out that blocks are
> no longer used is when a write is issued for them.

This is what you get for backward compatibility, i.e. using flash on the
same IO device and device driver as was designed for rotating rust
hardware. SSD is just a whole hacky thing and instead the motherboards
and OSes should evolve to allow the flash to be seen as a memory
extension – which is what we were doing in 2004 very successfully with
embedded systems. The very existence of TRIM indicates a systemic
problem.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk