Re TRIM Support [was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release]

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jan 3 10:47:42 PST 2013

On 1/3/2013 2:40 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 01:26 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> […]
>> Windows 7 has TRIM support, Windows XP does not. I have an SSD drive in an XP
>> machine, it runs as slow as a spinning disk. An SSD in Win7, with TRIM, runs
>> like lightning.
>
> Linux had TRIM support since 2008, but until late 2010 it wasn't easy to
> work with.  Since then (> 2.6.33) Linux support for TRIM has been fine
> as long as you use ext4 filestores. You just have to add the discard
> property to the partition mount in fstab.

Unfortunately, I'm the Ubuntu user who sticks an SSD drive into the machine, and
then pushes the button "Install Ubuntu!".

What do I get?

What you say is like the bad older versions of Ubuntu, which would not recognize
my screen. I always had to edit some config file that changed location and
contents with every new version, and the actual commands to write in there were
impossible to find documentation on. So it was trying random things, hoping you
wouldn't bork it so bad you couldn't see anything on the display.

The newer Ubuntus, thankfully, just work with the display.