Managing email [ was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release ]

Matthew Caron matt.caron at redlion.net
Thu Jan 3 11:01:23 PST 2013

On 01/03/2013 01:26 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/3/2013 1:22 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> I don't see that local or server-based storage makes any difference to
>> the ability to manage email. But maybe I am missing something about your
>> particular workflow.
>
> 1. I control the backups

The hosting company I use (csoft.net) has ssh access so, in addition to
their backups, I go in once and month and run one was well.

> 2. Third parties don't have access to my email history. I don't care
> what their "privacy policy" says - if they have it, they will use it as
> they please. You have no way to even discover what they do with it

Unless you encrypt all your email, anything that goes to and fro is
subject to snooping. Now, you'll likely make a valid point about them
not having *all* the history, and this is a fair point. However, I
assume that everyone has everything I've ever sent in the clear. After
all, you don't think all those acres of computers under various
agencies' headquarters are running SETI at Home, do you?

Now, where did I leave my tinfoil hat...

> 3. I've had email servers controlled by others "go dark", and poof, all
> email gone

That's what backups are for. You could also run a fetchmail process
locally to sync at a more rapid speed, so you get a local copy of
everything and get the benefit of cross-device syncing.

> 4. I *need* my old email. More than once it has saved me from a lawsuit

No argument there. I have stuff going back to 1995 or so (and,
ironically, the way I migrated from one mail client to another was to
shove a boatload of POP email up to IMAP then leave it there), because
there was no export function - which is what started this conversation
in the first place!
--
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com