Managing email [ was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 05:18:07 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 02:20 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[…]
> Sounds like you must be very good at Linux. I would never have been
> able to do it without this guide:
>
> http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/dovecot-mysql-debian-6-squeeze
>
> I found that to be more contrived, obscure, and needlessly
> over-complicated than anything else I've ever had to set up on (or off) a computer.

Take MySQL out of the mix and it all becomes far, far, far easier.

> The result is worth it, of course, but geez, what a bunch of pointless
> hoops. No reason I shouldn't have been able to just do something like:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install sane-email-server
>
> Then maybe answer a few simple questions, and be done with it.

Dovecot and Postfix now work out of the box, but still benefit from a
bit of extra configuration, which is where emacs|nano|vim is all you
need apart from some careful editing of the configuration files probably
with an open reference manual to check exact options and syntax.  Debian
actually uses Exim4 now as the default SMTP system. It also works out of
the box.

[…]
> Yea. Google's "Don't be evil" is a complete load of self-rationalizing
> bullshit. I mean, christ, their whole business is based on
> mining/selling personal information, and then they twist and contort the
> web technologies themselves into whatever they see fit (people bitch
> when *Microsoft* tries to do it, but when Big Brother does it it's
> apparently ok), and then they have the audacity to pretend their mantra
> is "Don't be evil." I hate Microsoft as much as anyone, but I'd sell my
> soul to MS if it got rid of companies like Google and Apple.

Google is a complex beast in that it it clearly evil, money grubbing,
etc. as it has to be as a company with shareholders, but it also does do
a lot of community support to try and give back some. Much more so that
Microsoft and Apple, both of which are just evil without any of the
giving back.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk