Shared Libraries [was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jan 6 03:27:10 PST 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 12:08 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
[…]
> I've requested that for years, still nothing. Well that only thing I've
> seen is that the change log used to say "Under Construction: Shared
> libraries for Linux". Still does for D1.

I know that the Go folk are of the view that shared libraries are an
abomination and all should be expunged from the universe; all Go
executables are statically linked.

Of course Linux, OS X, Solaris and AIX depend on shared libraries, but
maybe Google think they can change the world?

If D is to compete with C, C++ and JVM-based languages then it has to
have a position on shared libraries other than "we think it might be a
good idea, but no-one has bothered to do anything about it to date".
Either is is a good idea or it isn't. If it is a good idea then shared
libraries should be in 2.062. If it isn't then a clear statement of
"won't fix" and "D is a static compile only language, like Go" is
needed.

Of course then the issue is "How to link to shared libraries?". Go has
some difficulties here but the put a shim in place to deal with it.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk