Shared Libraries [was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release]

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Jan 6 04:32:31 PST 2013

On 2013-01-06 13:20, Russel Winder wrote:

> Is Walter the only person who can implement this? I cannot commit to
> doing anything on this in the foreseeable short-, to medium-term future,
> but is there anyone who can?

No, absolutely not. But no one has been willing to do it yet. Martin
Nowak seems to be closest to have something:

https://github.com/dawgfoto/druntime/tree/SharedRuntime

I have tried myself a couple of times but there has always been some
issue with the compiler that needs to be fixed or implemented. I have
never been able to figure out how to do that. For example, on Mac OS X
where DMD implements its own TLS the compiler will most likely need to
change somewhat.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/core/thread.d#L4549

In the above code we need to have access to which image that address (p)
to the belongs to.

> For the Go folks, it is all about issues with garbage collection and
> thread management, they need to perform contortions to deal with C and C
> ++ codes. I recollect it is to do with the way Go handles execution
> stacks.

I see.

--
/Jacob Carlborg