Managing email [ was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Jan 6 11:25:48 PST 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-06 at 11:42 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[…]
> Yea, I've noticed the same thing :( People are so enamored with their
> iDevices, that they think Apple can do no wrong. At least that's the
> only explanation I can think of.

Perhaps Apple employees visit everyone who buys an Apple device and
secretly implants the chip in the purchasers head?  ;-)

Personally I think Apple laptop hardware is great, the software however
leaves a lot to be desired.

> Like browsers, for instance. When Microsoft had their browser merely
> uninstallable and set as the *initial* default browser, the DOJ went
> apeshit, nevermind the fact that MS did *nothing* to prevent people
> from downloading and using competing browsers. Apple, OTOH, does the
> same, except they also PROHIBIT competing browsers (only the "shell"
> around the webview widget can be changed), and yet as long as Apple's
> the one doing it nobody seems to mind. Apple's has been known
> to do the same for other software besides browsers as well.

Perchance Apple have simply paid off the DOJ.  Or mayhap the Apple
employees and their chip implantation is more successful than we know?

> And then Jobs's personal grudge against Android (still
> unfortunately being carried out in full by the new regime, puppeted
> by a ghost apparently), in particular the irrational lawsuit against
> Samsung where Apple is abusing software/design patents to go on the
> offensive (not just using them defensively). The judge, even as an Apple
> user, made it clear that Apple had basically no standing, and yet those
> goddamn jururs irrationally ruled in favor of Apple anyway.

The result in the case was basically a forgone conclusion: USA company
domiciled within a couple of miles of all the jurors vs. a South Korean
company. No contest, whatever the actual rights and wrongs. Should have
been a bench trial from the outset.

Hopefully everyone is responding to the USPTO regarding software
patents.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk