D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 6 17:28:57 PST 2013

On 1/6/2013 4:25 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> I really hope at some point this will be addressed, and I think other
> areas of the development process have been improved enough to think this
> is a good moment to do so, but first management (OK, I will say it:
> Walter) have to be convinced (or pushed) to do so. Maybe it will take 2
> or 3 years.

Believing that Walter is the problem is minimizing the problem.  There's no way that a single developer can own and
drive a roadmap, and that's essentially what Walter is.  He's NOT a company of developers.  He doesn't have a cadre of
people that follow his instructions.

If this community feels the need for a concerted _directed_ effort, the community needs to step up and volunteer to
produce and progress upon that roadmap.  The problem is that while D currently has maybe a dozen developers, each of
them is essentially entirely self directed, following their own personal interests.  There's nothing inherently wrong
with that, and the results have been useful, but those results are also semi-chaotic and essentially impossible to predict.

Does anyone know of any mechanism for getting people to do what needs to be done vs what they want to do that doesn't
involve paying them?  The only long term successes I can point to all involve companies.

My 2 cents,
Brad