D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Pierre Rouleau prouleau001 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:15:43 PST 2013

On 13-01-06 7:36 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/6/2013 3:49 PM, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
>> If this list already contains all (does it?) of what is currently
>> identified
>> then is there some criteria one can use to try to infer what will be
>> implemented
>> in the next release? Or is it just "first come first served" where the
>> solved
>> enhancements automatically get pulled inside the release?
>
> The thing is, roadmaps are a lot like planning for a war. The moment the
> first shot is fired, all the plans go out the window. What we need to
> get done next is a constantly evolving situation, based on:
>
> 1. some crisis may occur
>
> 2. some opportunity may present itself
>
> 3. the language market may change its perception of what is important
>
> 4. a member of the community may promote themselves to be a champion of
> some particular issue, and work to get it implemented
>
> 5. our understanding of what is important and what isn't constantly evolves
>
> 6. there's constant evolution of what exactly is best practice and the
> best way to realize that
>
> Probably pretty high on the list would be solving the rvalue reference
> problem.

OK, I can understand that point of view and I recognize that it's been
the view the project has taken which allowed D to evolved nicely.

So, given that enhancements are identified in Bugzilla, is there a
review process?  Are ticket priorities and vote used?  Who decides what
is the priority of an enhancement?   Who assigns them?

Also, given that view on the development of D, what is the position on
the evolution of the language in context with backward compatibility and
stability?   How can an organization of D users that are not also D
developers can plan a project and use D for it?

Do you consider D stable enough for outside users/organizations to start
using it in their own projects?

--
/Pierre Rouleau