D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Pierre Rouleau prouleau001 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:18:51 PST 2013

On 13-01-06 9:45 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, January 06, 2013 21:22:18 Pierre Rouleau wrote:
>> Is this something that the most influential people in the D project want
>> to fix?
>
> What exactly do you want fixed?

Really, I would like to be able to start using D at work. And be in a
position to be able to convince people to use it.

> Sure, it would be great if we could know when
> certain things are going to be implemented or fixed, but without people to work
> on them, we can't know when that's going to happen. A lack of time and of
> manpower are frequently the problem here. And if you want a particular problem
> fixed, someone else wants another one fixed. Frequently, both could be
> considered high priority, and the developers only have so much time. Also,
> it's frequently the case that specific people are needed to fix specific issues -
> especially if we don't have new people stepping up to the plate and learning
> how to do stuff - creating an even greater bottleneck.
>
> Maybe we could get some sort of consensus on what the biggest issues are and
> try and get people to focus on those, but frequently, what we really need is
> for someone to step up and spend the time necessary to fix the issue. When that
> happens, stuff gets done. When it doesn't, it doesn't really matter what the
> biggest issues are, because there's a lack of manpower to fix them. And
> frequently, each major issue requires a different set of expertise, making it
> hard to for someone or even a small group of someones to work on all of the
> major issues. And we only have a small group of someones.
>
> So, if you have any suggestions on how to improve the process or otherwise
> help us get stuff done, great. If you think that there's something that we can
> do to better encourage participation, we're all ears. For instance, the
> release process is currently being adjusted precisely because people thought
> that it was a major issue and have spent the time to work out what should be
> done about it. But to a great extent, I don't think we necessarily know what
> needs to be changed or how it should be changed. Good ideas are required, and
> we're tight enough on time and manpower as it is just trying to get done
> everything that we know needs to get done.
>
> Almost always, the key is for someone who's passionate about something to get
> involved and make sure that it gets done.

And I understand and agree on all of the above points.  I am trying to
see what I could do.  Yes, I can start going through the list of
tickets, try to compile some info, and eventually even become one more
developer.  At the moment I was trying to learn more on the development
process to get ideas on how (or whether it is possible) to improve the
predictability aspect I would need to convince people at work on the
usefulness of D.

For the moment, I will continue to read the lists, the Bugzilla tickets
(and propose better titles via comments if I see opportunities to do
so), learn how you use DDoc for the documentation, find out what is
supported by the community and its leader (which I assume is Walter) and
hopefully I can help a little somehow.

--
/Pierre Rouleau