D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Matthew Caron matt.caron at redlion.net
Mon Jan 7 04:57:07 PST 2013

On 01/05/2013 03:01 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:20:19 -0500
> Matthew Caron <matt.caron at redlion.net> wrote:

>>> I don't store email on the server, I store it locally.
>>
>> I gave that up years ago when I ended up with more than one device.
>> Too much "did I get that email on my laptop or my desktop?" And now
>> with tablet, phone, laptop, desktop, and several kiosk machines
>> around the house (because how else do you watch Firefly whilst
>> device proliferation continues...
>>

> Turn off "Delete email from server ten seconds after downloading it".
> Either increase it to a sane time period, or disable delete-from-server
> entirely. Problem solved. Worked fine for me.

Isn't this just "leave email on the server", which is what I suggested?

Of course, what you're saying is "use POP with leave on server enabled".
A better solution is to just use IMAP.

> Accessing *sent* messages can be a different story though, but using
> your email client's setting for "BCC outgoing messages to..." to send
> to a special "messages I sent" address works well enough. Unless you
> need to use some shitty Fisher-Price email client like the one in iOS,
> because then you're just fucked. (But if you need to rely on iOS,
> you'll probably have bigger problems anyway.)

Or, you just use IMAP.

>> Windows is only
>> suitable for playing video games, and I'm looking forward to Steam's
>> release for Linux such that I can power on the Wintendo less and
>> less.
>
> Steam on Linux? That's like installing hydraulics on a Formula 1
> or a rusty nail in a jock strap. Nothing that involves "Steam" is
> suitable for playing videogames, whether Win/Lin or anything else.

It's view it as an online shop which allows you to buy and install games
for your platform. I have no issue with this. I don't use all the fancy
extra social video game crap.

> I'd be willing to *release* a game, *non-exclusively*, on steam just
> for the visibility and for the subset of PC gamers that are
> unfortunately dumb enough to think steam isn't DRM, but that's all
> steam is good for. Gabe can suck the shit out of my ass for destroying
> the last non-orwellian gaming platform in existence and
> essentially turning it into a goddamn iPhone.

You don't have to use it, you know. There are other games. GOG.com has a
pile, and many of them run just fine under Wine and or DosBOX. I'd like
to see them do more Linux, and I hope that the Steam port will be the
beginning of more entries on to the platform.

(Of course, I thought the same thing about Loki)
--
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com