A look at the D programming language by Ferdynand Górski

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Jan 7 05:31:07 PST 2013

On Monday, 7 January 2013 at 12:26:12 UTC, Max Klyga wrote:
> On 2013-01-07 09:32:30 +0000, Walter Bright said:
>
>> http://fgda.pl/post/8/a-look-at-the-d-programming-language
>
> Now on Reddit:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1647y1/a_look_at_the_d_programming_language_by_ferdynand/

Nice article. Once I have enough time I would like to write a
short article about how D has solved practical issues for me. I
think it is not enough to talk about all the features of the
language (templates, GC) without giving practical examples (one
more Fibbonacci example and I'll go maD!), i.e. things
programmers have to deal with every day and that make life
(needlessly) difficult like encoding issues, portability and
interfacing to C, to mention but a few. Big companies will always
be able to make people believe that they alone have solved
concurrency issues and everyone should use their products. But D
is much more than a language that was born out of the need to
address (con)current issues. It already is as versatile as C and
C++ (system language, portable), as productive as Python, it has
the benefit of hindsight and is felxible enough to react to new
demands. Sure, we all know that. However, in order to convince
people to use D for new projects, it would be nice to have some
practical real-world examples and possibly a list of "Made with
D"-software.