D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Mon Jan 7 07:47:31 PST 2013

Brad Roberts, el  6 de January a las 17:28 me escribiste:
> On 1/6/2013 4:25 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> > I really hope at some point this will be addressed, and I think other
> > areas of the development process have been improved enough to think this
> > is a good moment to do so, but first management (OK, I will say it:
> > Walter) have to be convinced (or pushed) to do so. Maybe it will take 2
> > or 3 years.
>
> Believing that Walter is the problem is minimizing the problem.  There's no
> way that a single developer can own and drive a roadmap, and that's
> essentially what Walter is.  He's NOT a company of developers.  He doesn't
> have a cadre of people that follow his instructions.
>
> If this community feels the need for a concerted _directed_ effort, the
> community needs to step up and volunteer to produce and progress upon that
> roadmap.  The problem is that while D currently has maybe a dozen developers,
> each of them is essentially entirely self directed, following their own
> personal interests.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, and the
> results have been useful, but those results are also semi-chaotic and
> essentially impossible to predict.

I can write a roadmap, but then, nobody will listen to me. The reality is,
Walter is the "leader" and who decides what gets in and what not. It happened
to me before to implement stuff that doesn't get in. And that's fine. But
Walter, as a "leader" have to step up and tell where he wants to move so people
focus on the stuff that have a chance to be merged.

Otherwise the only road is forking, as it happened before. I don't think the
Tango split and now Amber are coincidences. There is a lack of leadership in D,
and talking with the community. Andrei tried to fill that leader position in
the past, and even when I have lots of differences with Andrei, I think he
successfully done that with Phobos. But he can't do that with DMD.

I agree that Walter doesn't have to do all, but at least he must be convinced
there is a value in it, and encourage it and help whoever wants to step up. Why
would I bother to do anything if is very likely that Walter don't want to go
that direction and all my work was done for nothing? Been there before. Now I'm
more cautious when selecting my battles.

> Does anyone know of any mechanism for getting people to do what needs to be
> done vs what they want to do that doesn't involve paying them?  The only long
> term successes I can point to all involve companies.

I do think that D to take the next leap needs to have more (directly or
indirectly) payed development. But still that doesn't stop you from having a
plan, a tentative roadmap.