Shared Libraries [was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release]

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Mon Jan 7 12:30:47 PST 2013

On Monday, 7 January 2013 at 19:54:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/7/2013 4:41 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> Yes, it is not supported by linker and dyld versions shipping
>> with OS X 10.7.

Sorry, I wrote my last post in a hurry – I suppose it's clear
anyway, but that should have been »by the linker and dyld
versions Apple shipped with OS X prior to 10.7«.

>> This is also the reason why LDC 2 only supports OS X 10.7+, as
>> LLVM does not
>> implement a workaround for older versions (although
>> implementing one up to the
>> point where it is good enough for D should be doable without
>> too much effort).
>
> It's pretty clear where we'll be going with this. We'll be
> abandoning OS X versions older than 10.7.
>
> I don't know enough about the Mac ecosystem to know when we can
> pull the plug on that.

I don't know the current relative market share of the different
OS X versions on top of my head either, but as we were getting a
couple of bug reports from people who had tried to use LDC 2 on
10.6 (before we figured out that LLVM doesn't emulate TLS there),
I guess it's too soon to drop support for it still. However, when
finally somebody finds the time to implement shared library
support in the runtime, the situation might have already changed
anyway.

David